Fire displaces couple, Red Cross to the rescue

Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2014 at 10:13 am

A doublewide home on Cooke Place in Mineral was destroyed by fire on Thursday, April 3 during the early morning hours.

A doublewide home on Cooke Place in Mineral was destroyed by fire on Thursday, April 3 during the early morning hours.

A Mineral man escaped injury after his double-wide mobile home on Cooke Place went up in flames in the early morning hours of Thursday, April 3.

Walter Sprouse said he had fallen asleep in front of the television that evening. In the early morning hours he was awaked by the frantic barking of his five Chihuahua’s and he saw flames coming out of the bedroom.

Grabbing all the dogs, Sprouse ran out of the house and called the fire department. His wife, Julia, was out of town visiting her sister.

The call to 9-1-1 came in at 3:06 a.m. Five volunteer fire departments were called to the scene. Assisting in the blaze were Mineral, Bumpass, Louisa, Holly Grove and Locust Creek Volunteer Fire Departments. Louisa County Emergency Services and Louisa County Fire and EMS also worked the scene.

After approximately two hours, the fire was extinguished, leaving behind a black and sooty heap that was once the home of  the Sprouse’s.

“I still have nightmares,” Sprouse said.

This is the second house fire for Sprouse, who was about 12-years-old when his parents’ home burned to the ground.

donation“I lost some of my grandmother’s antiques and all my pictures,” Julia said. “But I have these lives,” as she pointed to her husband and dogs, “and I have my memories. Material things I can replace.”

According to Louisa County Fire Chief Keith Greene, the preliminary investigation indicates  the fire was accidental and started from an electrical source. Apparently, the wiring inside the control of an electric blanket shorted out, causing the fire.

To read the entire story, see the April 17 edition of The Central Virginian.

Headlines of the Day