Battle of Franklin Trust’s Eric A. Jacobson and dignitaries speak on significance of historic preservation
FRANKLIN, Tenn. – Franklin’s Charge dedicated three 3-inch Ordnance rifles at Carter Hill Battlefield Park on Nov. 10 after raising funds to secure the authentic artillery pieces.
Battle of Franklin Trust CEO Eric A. Jacobson welcomed guests to the historic ceremony, which began with songs from the 1860s by Olde Towne Brass Band and appearances by re-enactors President Abraham Lincoln and General Ulysses S. Grant. Speakers included City of Franklin Mayor Ken Moore, Tennessee Wars Commission Director Tim Hyder and Tennessee State Historian Dr. Carroll Van West.
“Finally seeing these cannons as they were in 1864 is immensely powerful in the interpretation of The Battle of Franklin,” said Jacobson. “This addition of authentic artillery pieces falls just in time for the 153rd anniversary of the battle on Nov. 30.”
Franklin’s Charge secured authentic replicas of four artillery pieces that are now displayed at Carter Hill Battlefield Park. The Franklin’s Charge Cannon Committee, led by Chairman Cullen Smith, recognized the need and worked to secure three 3-inch Ordnance rifles and a 12-pounder Napoleon that will be installed as well.
More than twenty acres make up Carter Hill Battlefield Park, which continues to expand and contribute to the economic impact of heritage tourism in Williamson County. Last year, local and national preservation partners closed on a land transaction that resulted in the creation of this city battlefield park along Columbia Avenue in downtown Franklin. The Civil War Trust, The Heritage Foundation of Franklin and Williamson County, The Battle of Franklin Trust and Franklin’s Charge, Inc. transferred acres of property to the City of Franklin that were converted into a public battlefield park near The Carter House, a national landmark site.
For more information about Franklin’s Charge and The Battle of Franklin Trust, visit www.franklinscharge.org/support/ and https://boft.org/.
About The Battle of Franklin Trust The Battle of Franklin Trust is a 501(c)3 management corporation acting on behalf of Franklin’s battlefield sites to contribute to a greater understanding and enrich the visitor experience of the November 30, 1864 battle. It is organized for the charitable and educational purposes of preserving, restoring, maintaining and interpreting the properties, artifacts and documents related to the battle so as to preserve an important part of the nation’s history.