The Central Virginian

Follow Us On:

Louisa father delivers his daughter at home

Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 9:00 am

Louisa County 9-1-1 dispatcher Kimberly Barley talked George Parker through the steps necessary to deliver his daughter,  Madyson.

Louisa County 9-1-1 dispatcher Kimberly Barley talked George Parker through the steps necessary to deliver his daughter, Madyson.

“She slipped right out and George very wonderfully caught her,” Christi Parker said about her husband who helped deliver their third child at 2:47 a.m. in the living room of their Blue Ridge Shores home on November 2, 2013.

At about 1:15 a.m., Christi said she experienced her first contraction while they were turning in for bed. After having several more, the couple decided to wake their two children and get them ready to go to a friend’s house so they could drive to the hospital.

Christi had visited her doctor earlier that day and was told not to expect anything happening anytime soon.

“[She] hadn’t progressed in a week,” George said.

The Parkers called the doctor’s answering service, and while waiting for a call back, Christi’s contractions began coming closer together.

However, when the doctor called, the couple was told to wait until the contractions became stronger and to then call back.

Since they were unable to get in touch with their friend, the couple called Christi’s father, asking him to meet them at the hospital and collect the kids from there.

“George went and took the kids out to the van,” Christi said. “When he came back in I knew there was no way we were going to make it to Martha Jefferson [Hospital] and I didn’t want to deliver her on the side of [Interstate] 64 in a mini van.”

George called Louisa County dispatch for an ambulance and 9-1-1 dispatcher Kimberly Barley answered the call.

“Just as George was giving the information to the dispatcher, with the next contraction, I knew we weren’t even going to make it to the ambulance,” Christi said laughing.

Barley said that George told her that he thought his wife was in labor. Emergency Communications Deputy Director Chris Lee obtained the emergency medical dispatch cards and flipped to the delivery cards. LCSO 9-1-1 dispatcher Carley Peake dispatched the emergency medical technicians (EMTs) and fire rescue to the Parker’s home.

Christi said George went to get towels and got her situated according to Barley’s instructions. As Barley was telling George what to do when the head came out, George replied “Whoop, yep here she is.”

“It was no work on my part, Christi said. “She just slipped right out.”

“She looked like a big blueberry,” George said. “She got her color right away with her first breath or so and started screaming.”

It was a mere eight minutes between the time the call came into dispatch until the seven-pound-six ounce baby Madyson Ruth slipped into the world. Christi’s labor lasted only one and a half hours from the first contractions until birth, and the ambulance arrived four minutes after the baby’s arrival.

To read the entire story, see the Jan. 23 edition of The Central Virginian.