As the cold and rain began to settle in over Louisa County on Sunday, March 2, fire crews were called to a home in the 1000 block of Doctors Road around 5 p.m., where a fire had begun to engulf a mobile home, claimed the life of a man and injured a woman.
Authorities are not releasing the names of the victims at this time. According to the Louisa County Tax Assessment Office website, the property is owned by John M. Lanham and Victoria L. Corbin.
The female victim was rushed to University of Virginia Hospital. Detective Mark Stanton of the Louisa County Sheriff’s Office said she suffered second degree burns to her arms and hands.
The male, who was found in the vicinity of what the fire department believes to be the front door of the residence, has not been positively identified. His body has been sent to the medical examiner’s office. Due to the condition of the body, the identification will most likely have to be made using DNA, Stanton said.
Captain/Deputy Mike Schlemmer, emergency manager for Louisa County, said they believe the fire may have started at the back porch area. He said they were given information that there may have been some problem with the flue, but have not had time to check out that report.
“One thing, there was a lot of material on the back porch and, quite possibly when everybody heard an explosion, it was aerosol cans from that area,” Schlemmer said.
A 20 pound propane tank appeared to have been dented, Schlemmer said, and firemen removed the tank. Oil tanks also suffered heat damage.
To read the entire story, see the March 6 edition of The Central Virginian.