The Central Virginian

Follow Us On:

Missing Waynesboro captain’s car found, state police now suspect foul play

Posted on Wednesday, February 5, 2014 at 6:34 pm

When Frank Houchens of Cedar Hill Road in Mineral woke up on Monday, Feb. 3, he found an unfamiliar vehicle parked in his carport and called the Louisa County Sheriff’s Office.

Deputy Mark Foster responded and discovered that the silver 1999 Toyota 4Runner belonged to missing Waynesboro reserve police captain Kevin Wayne Quick.

Kevin.QuickThe 45-year-old Quick, a resident of Rockfish, mysteriously disappeared and has not been seen since about 10:15 p.m. on Friday, Jan. 31 after he left his mother’s home in Afton. He was going to visit his girlfriend and four-month-old daughter 20 miles away in the Turtle Creek Apartments in Albemarle County.  He never arrived.

Corinne Geller, public relations director with the Virginia State Police, said investigators have since determined that Houchens has nothing to do with the case.

In an interview with CNN on Tuesday night, Geller said that Quick’s SUV has no apparent damage. The vehicle was towed from Houchens’ property Monday afternoon so that a forensic exam could be performed.

Geller said in a press release that state police are asking Louisa County residents who may have seen the SUV to contact them. They are also interested in speaking to anyone near Cedar Hill Road who may have noticed any additional vehicles late the night of Sunday, Feb. 2 and in early morning hours of Monday, Feb. 3.

Since the area is fairly remote, Geller said it would have required the individual(s) to leave by another vehicle after leaving Quick’s SUV behind. As a result, the search for Quick has now expanded to include Louisa County.

Sgt. Brian Edwards of the Waynesboro Police Department, who has known Quick for 20 years, said Quick was planning a birthday bash on Saturday for his youngest brother who was turning 40.

“Family was really important to him,” Edwards said. “He wouldn’t blow off his family. He is firmly rooted in family and work.”

Based on what they know now, state police suspect foul play.

The VSP and the Waynesboro Police Department held a live press conference on Monday, Feb. 3 at 2:30 at the Waynesboro Police Department to update the public on the case.

To read the entire story, see the Feb. 6 edition of The Central Virginian.