It was a quiet evening around Small Country Campground on Thursday, June 26, when two young boys entered the campground store shortly after 6 p.m. to let manager Bryan Anders know a trailer was on fire.
When Anders walked outside, he saw flames leaping in the air about 100 feet from the store and called back to the store clerk to contact the fire department.
Firefighters from Louisa, Trevilians, Zion Crossroads and Holly Grove Volunteers Fire Departments responded to the scene within 17 minutes. Louisa County Emergency Services, Fire and Rescue and Sheriff’s Office personnel also responded to the fire.
The RV-slide out 37-foot trailer was situated approximately 400 to 500 feet from the store near a laundry area. When Anders arrived at the scene, the first thing he did was open the front door and call inside.
Owners Bill and Ruth Small’s grandson, Andrew, had been staying in the trailer and working at the campground for the summer and Anders was concerned he may have still been in the trailer.
Fortunately, Small said, his grandson had locked up and gone home to perform a chore and was not present when the fire started.
Anders said black smoke poured out of the trailer when he opened the door. His first priority was to clear the area, remove the propane tanks beside the trailer and unplug the electrical power.
To read the entire story, seethe July 3 edition of The Central Virginian.