The Central Virginian

Follow Us On:

Unveiling history

Posted on Sunday, June 24, 2018 at 12:00 pm

Visitors emerge from the partly restored Shady Grove School during festivities on June 16.

The alumni of Shady Grove School continue their work to preserve the place where they learned their letters and numbers. They paused on June 16 to celebrate their efforts, unveiling a historical marker that tells the elementary school’s story.

It’s the 22nd roadside historical sign in Louisa County, by the state Department of Historical Resources’ (DHR) count. This one sits on Three Chopt Road in the very southeastern corner of the county. African American students from Goochland and Louisa counties attended the one-room school from 1925 to 1962.

A number of people who attended the school from first through seventh grade returned to be part of the event, organized by Shady Grove (Rosenwald) School Inc. The nonprofit group, which raised money to pay for the sign, has completed work on the school’s exterior and is now seeking a $10,000 grant to restore the inside rooms, according to Taren Owens, board president.

“A space for our children to learn was just as important as an education,” Deloris Hicks, an alumna, said during the sign’s dedication. “Despite limited funds, they made it their dream to build a proper building.”

Alumni of the Shady Grove School unveil a historic marker at the school on Three Chopt Road on June 16.

Read the rest of this story in the June 21 edition of The Central Virginian.

Social Media Posts from Local Businesses.
Click the F2F Banner for More Posts.