The Trevilian Station Battlefield Foundation will hold an open house on June 15 from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. at the Charles Goodall Trevilian House. Admission for the tour is free.
The Battle of Trevilian Station was fought June 11-12, 1864 and the fighting around the Trevilian House and station was intense. On the evening of June 11, General Custer sought to use the Trevilian House for his headquarters. Due to the illness of one of the Trevilian children, Custer instead used the yard for his location.
A recent addition to the newly furnished house includes an 1850s piano from General Grant’s headquarters at the Clifton House. On the evening before the surrender at Appomattox in 1865, the piano playing caused Grant, who was suffering from a migraine headache, to admonish his staff for playing while he tried to sleep.
The Trevilian House is located at 57 Danne Rd., Louisa, VA 23093, behind the store at Trevilians.