Report: Driver shot at police four times, police returned fire

A man who led a Louisa sheriff's deputy on a car chase into Orange County on Aug. 24 stopped four times to fire shots at the officer, according to Virginia State Police. After the fourth time, the deputy returned fire.

Aubrey Robertson Jr., 41, of Louisa, was taken into custody after he drove through a field, crashed into a fence and ran away on foot from his vehicle, according to state police Public Relations Director Corinne Geller. Neither Robertson nor the sheriff's deputies involved from Louisa and Orange counties were injured.

Deputies found a two-year-old boy inside Robertson's vehicle. The boy was secured in a child safety seat and was unharmed. An adult female passenger in the vehicle was also uninjured.

State police charged Robertson in Orange County with attempted capital murder of a law enforcement officer, use of a fiream in the commission of a felony, possession of a firearm by a convicted felon and child endangerment. Robertson also has pending charges against him in Louisa Circuit Court for grand larceny, intent to sell stolen property, obtaining money through fraud and contempt of court.

The pursuit began after the deputy attempted to make a traffic stop just west of the town of Louisa at 10:34 p.m. on Aug. 24. The driver then led the deputy on a chase up Ellisville Drive toward the Orange County line.

At 10:51 p.m., the driver's Chevrolet Avalanche stopped just over the line and the driver fired for the first time at the officer, Geller said.

The pursuit then continued onto Marquis Road in Orange County and eventually onto Zachary Taylor Highway (Route 522), according to an Orange County Sheriff's Office Facebook post.

"The Avalanche stopped three more times, during which the driver fired shots at the deputy pursuing him," Geller continued. "It was during the fourth stop and [the] fourth time the driver fired shots at the deputy that the deputy returned fire."

"The investigation into the shooting remains ongoing at this time," she said. "Once state police completes its investigation, the findings will be turned over to the Commonwealth's Attorney for final review and adjudication."

Robertson is being held at Central Virginia Regional Jail in Orange. He appeared in Orange General District Court on Aug. 27 on charges related to the pursuit.


Recommended for you