Enhancing the grid

The towering transmission lines that have crossed Louisa County for nearly half a century are nearing the end of their operational lifespan, prompting Dominion Energy to undertake a major infrastructure project aimed at modernizing the electric grid and meeting Virginia’s rapidly growing energy demand.

Company officials outlined the proposal during a community meeting held Wednesday, May 6, at the Betty J. Queen Intergenerational Center, where residents had an opportunity to ask questions and address concerns regarding plans to replace high-voltage transmission lines running through portions of Central Virginia.

The project will rebuild existing 500-kilovolt (kV) transmission lines within the current right-of-way corridor between the Carson, Midlothian and North Anna Substations. Originally constructed in the late 1970s, the lines are being replaced to ensure continued reliability and accommodate future growth.

According to Dominion Energy officials, the rebuild is an absolute necessity.

“With these upgrades it will also allow for more generation to come onto the grid,” Dominion spokesman Jeremy Slayton said. “We’re seeing more and more energy being used, and from our perspective we just have to keep up and make sure we have a reliable grid so when our customers come home or wake up that they have the power they need.”

Preliminary surveys were conducted earlier this spring, and Dominion plans to file an application with the Virginia State Corporation Commission (SCC) in August. The commission, which regulates all energy providers throughout Virginia, will evaluate the project and determine whether impacts to scenic assets, historic districts and the environment have been reasonably minimized.

A final order from the SCC is anticipated in April 2027. If approved, construction could begin as early as next year.

Proposed replacement structures would consist of single or double-circuit steel monopoles approximately 190 feet tall.

To maintain reliable electric service during construction, Dominion plans to keep the existing 500-kV lines energized while the new structures are built. The current lines are located approximately 95 feet from the proposed replacement line.

To accomplish this, Dominion is proposing a partial rebuild of the existing 230-kV transmission line between the Midlothian Substation and Oilville near Broad Street. In this section, the 500-kV and 230- kV lines would share the same structures.

The company said the approach will optimize the existing right-ofway corridor for future development. Because some portions of the corridor remain uncleared, Dominion will need to remove trees, vegetation and unapproved encroachments. An additional 70 feet of trees and vegetation would be cleared along the corridor while the existing 500-kV lines remain in service during construction.

In Louisa County, the most common width of the transmission easement is approximately 235 feet, with the widest section near Carson exceeding 400 feet. After the rebuilt lines are energized, the original towers will be taken out of service and demolished.

Dominion officials said they do not anticipate the need to exercise eminent domain because the company already holds permanent easement rights within the existing corridor. Because the project remains within an established right of way, it has generated less public attention than other transmission proposals, including those associated with the Valley Link project.

“What kind of separates this from the other transmission line projects is this is a simple wreck and rebuild,” Slayton said. “However, homeowners still have every right to ask questions and be concerned about what is going on around their property, and that is why we have a very open and transparent process. We’re always going to work with the public as best as we can and make sure they have all of the necessary information.”

Dominion says electricity demand within its service territory is projected to more than double by 2045, prompting the company to maximize the use of existing transmission corridors where possible.

Officials also discussed a separate project awarded by the PJM Interconnection Board of Directors earlier this year in February. The underground high-voltage direct current (HVDC) project would provide a 525-kV transmission connection across Virginia, delivering power from southern to northern portions of the Commonwealth.

This project would run between the Ream Substation and Vontay Substation and will require its own SCC approval process. Phased construction is currently planned between 2027 and 2032.

During the meeting, Dominion officials acknowledged the “project fatigue” that has been frequently cited by local residents.

“It’s completely understandable that we get many questions from residents, particularly in Louisa County, because they have been receiving so much information all at once and it can be overwhelming,” Project Supervisor Carrie Rose Pace said. “But that’s why we are here and making sure that people understand — especially those within this existing corridor — this is an existing line that will be rebuilt in the same existing easement, and with good maintenance, it’s going to continue reliably serving customers for many decades to come.”

The project website can be found at dominionenergy.com/Carson-NorthAnna Questions may also be submitted to powerline@dominionenergy.com